Director: Lee Daniels
Writer(s): Peter Dexter (novel)
Genre: Thriller, Crime
Filming: Filming started on August 1st 2011 and is expected to last until the end of September. Filming in New Orleans.
Paperboy centers on a reporter (Ward James) and his brother (Jack James) who investigate the events surrounding a murder in order to exonerate a man on death row. Kidman will play a woman with a dark side who writes letters to men on death row. She brings the case to the attention of the reporter, developing a relationship with him. Set in Florida in the 1960′s.
US – 2012
Matthew McConaughey … Ward James
Zac Efron … Jack James
John Cusack … Hillary Van Wetter
David Oyelowo … Yardley
“Charlotte Bless is a middle-aged postal worker who has spent a good deal of her life corresponding with murderers who are headed for the electric chair. The air around Miss Bless is alive with sex. The smell of her makes passers-by grit their teeth and excites sexual interest even in dogs. She can cause men to experience spontaneous orgasm while sitting several feet away. Killers are Charlotte’s aphrodisiac. Not the killers in the flesh, though, but the idea of them. She exhausts her interest in one, then moves on to the next. ”
Photos: Gallery at Nicole’s Magic
• Nicole replaced Sofia Vergara in this role, after Vergara dropped out due to scheduling conflicts.
- Zac Efron: “She’s (Kidman) my love interest… Nicole is so gorgeous. It was everything you dreamed of. She was such a lovely person. I pinch myself everyday, especially after doing love scenes with Nicole Kidman. It was the highlight of my life. Nicole was something else and was always in character. She didn’t get weird method, like some actors do, but I have never seen anyone so centred.”
- Thierry Fremaux: (Cannes Film Festival chief): “In Cannes, the big films protect the small. The celebrities protect the unknowns. When people see Lee Daniels’ movie, for example, they’ll talk about Nicole Kidman as an actress, not as a star.”
- Nicole Kidman: “Lee said to me, look we’ve got no money, you’re going to have to do your own hair and make-up. So I went went into my bathroom, and I got out the fake tan and I put on lashes, and I got out a hairpiece thing which was platinum. I put it all on and took a photo and texted it to Lee, in all kinds of different provocative positions. What he sent back, which I cannot say, but it was like ‘Thumbs-up!’ And that’s how it started to percolate. What he sent back I can’t say, but it was a thumbs up.”
- Nicole Kidman: “I’ve been looking as an actor for something raw and more dangerous in terms of performances, and then this came along. I may be uncomfortable watching the movie. But that’s my job — it’s my job to give over to something, not to censor it, not to put my own judgments of how I feel as Nicole playing the character. I am there to portray a truth.”
- Nicole Kidman: “I sat down in a room with five women who were all in love with men in prison. They told me stories that were like – wow.”
- Zac Efron: “I had the most lovely time in the world. I was ecstatic the day I found out she was playing the part. I have been in love with her for a long time, since Moulin Rouge. It was the best opportunity in the world for me and I loved every moment.”
- Macy Gray: “I was in character on set except when I saw Nicole. I got really starstruck and just had to say hello.”
… this seems like a really different role for Nicole, and something quite dark and interesting.